Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) is one of the most recognized and widely practiced empirically validated therapies. This course focuses on teaching the most current CBT theory and interventions in a structured, systematic format. You will start with basic theory, learn how to conceptualize your clients' problems and use your CBT based conceptualization to develop effective interventions. You will learn fundamental conceptual and intervention skills that are applicable to clients with a wide variety of problems including depression and anxiety, as well as other problems that clients bring to counselling.
Top 3 reasons to register
- You want to learn about cognitive behaviour therapy in a structured setting that focuses on in-depth learning and application.
- You want to learn how to conceptualize client problems so that your interventions are based on a clinical formulation.
- You want to learn cognitive behavioural interventions in a step by step manner using structured skills practice that break down complex interventions into specific concrete skills.
This course will help you:
- Understand current research on CBT and the relationship between research and effective CBT interventions
- Develop strong conceptual skills to understand clients’ problems within a CBT theoretical framework
- Use a CBT conceptualization to help you decide which intervention would be the most helpful for your client
- Effectively use cognitive interventions including:
- Thought records
- Cognitive reframing
- Identifying dysfunctional cognitive patterns
- Effectively use behavioural interventions including:
- Activity scheduling
- Graded task assignments
- Problem solving
- Relaxation techniques
NotesThe following two textbooks are used for the class-
1) Greenberger, D. and Padesky, C.A. (2015). Mind over Mood, 2nd Ed. (Client workbook). New York, NY: Guilford Press. The previous 1995 version can also be used as they are both quite similar.
2) Wright, J. H., Brown, G. K., Thase, M. E., & Basco, M. R. (2017). Learning Cognitive-Behavior Therapy: An Illustrated Guide, 2nd Ed. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association Publishing.
Both books are available at Caversham Booksellers. The store is located at 98 Harbord Street (near Spadina) and the phone number is (416) 944-0962. They are willing to provide a 25% discount for Mind over Mood and for Learning CBT, they can add a 5% discount. They are also available at Amazon Canada at www.amazon.ca.
Is this course for you?
This course is open to:
- Individuals who have obtained a bachelor's degree or bachelor's level training in psychology or a counselling related degree, OR
- On a case by case basis, we will consider individuals with significant counselling experience or non-university based education that the individual believes is equivalent to a bachelors degree. Please email email@example.com attach your CV including all work and education experience.
Learn about the other available Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Courses:
COMM-CBTS-A - Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Specialization for Anxiety
COMM-CBTS-CD - Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Specialization for Complex Disorders