Do you know how to hook your readers? Or, are they yawning as they page through your elearning screens and handbooks? Powerful writing captures interest and draws the reader into a learning experience through compelling stories and scripts, all while cleverly focusing attention on critical facts, concepts or procedures. Strong writing skills are key to learner engagement and are increasingly in demand in our industry. In this course you will explore key techniques for writing ‘lean’ content, on-screen text, learner interactions and easy to skim reference guides. You will also discover how to write with a bent for learner empathy while effectively representing your learning brand's values.
Online Course: 3-5 hours of work per week (including discussion, assignments, readings, research)
Critical Performance Statement:
By the end of this course/program, professionals will have demonstrated the ability to apply techniques for writing enticing, lean and impactful learning content for multiple media formats.
To achieve the critical performance described above, professionals will have demonstrated the ability to:
- Describe the importance of quality writing in creating engaging and effective learning experiences.
- Employ tactics for writing content that draws the reader into a learning experience.
- Pair down bloated content into simplified, powerful copy.
- Apply techniques for transforming paper copy into readable, accessible and 'skimmable' online copy.
- Re-structure information into useful, one-page Job Aids or Infographics.
Learning Evaluation Plan:
During the course/program, professionals will demonstrate their learning in the following ways:
- Collaboration: Participation in Online Discussion
- Writing Activities
- Writing Blog
PrerequisitesThe course requires a computer and online access to the OISE course environment, as well as the ability to connect online to other websites and resources as required. Important: You may require the ability to download tools and software in order to experiment with various technologies. We will encourage you to get comfortable with creating accounts with various social media sources (LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.).
All articles and reading material will be provided by the instructor and will be made available online through the course learning environment.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Adult Learning and Development : Elective Courses