The Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT) Program is intended to teach solution-building skills at a specialist level. Students will learn the skills to conduct interviews in which clients’ existing strengths and resources are utilized to help them find solutions to a wide range of human difficulties. The solution-focused approach represents a paradigm shift from the classical problem-focused and symptom-based, to a post-modern solution-focused and strength-based interventions.
SFBT approach represents a paradigm shift from the classical problem-focused and symptom-based, to a post-modern solution-focused and strength-based interventions.
The Solution-Focused Approach
- Fosters greater resilience, self-care, and positive mindset in both clients and practitioners
- Leads to better interactions with individuals, groups, and organizations in which clients’ existing strengths and resources are leveraged to enhance possibilities for positive change
- Promotes greater interpersonal, communication, and strategic thinking skills that are useful in enhancing relationships and performance at work, at home, and in the community
The program is open to:
- Individuals who have obtained a minimum bachelor's degree or bachelor's level training in psychology or a counselling related degree, OR
- On a case by case basis, we will consider individuals with significant counselling experience or non-university based education that the individual believes is equivalent to a bachelors degree. Please email email@example.com and attach your CV including all work and education experience.
View a list of our course offerings for the 2018-2019 academic year here
This program meets the national standards for the certified solution-focused specialist designations (i.e., Therapist, Practitioner, Coach) granted by the Canadian Council of Professional Certification (ccpcglobal.com).
SFBT courses for the 2018-2019 academic year have been accredited by the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA). This means that each SFBT course you take with us counts as 12 continuing education credits (CECs) towards maintaining your CCPA membership!
This program has been approved by the Ontario Psychological Association to offer continuing education for psychologists and psychological associates. This program meets the criteria for 12 continuing education credits per course.
“Psychology is not just the study of weakness and damage. It is also the study of strength and virtue. Treatment is not just fixing what is broken. It is nurturing what is best within ourselves. We need practitioners to recognize that much of the best work they do is amplifying the strengths rather than repairing their patients ‘weaknesses’.” – Professor Martin Seligman, former APA President, Founder of Positive Psychology
Learn more about the program: Watch the Solution-Focused Brief Therapy Webinar video (pre-recorded)