Education Leaders Program
Enhance your organizational, pedagogical, and community-engagement leadership skills, and build your capacity to foster a culturally responsive school environment to support the success of all of your students and staff.
For education leaders in the Primary, Secondary, and College sectors, the Education Leaders Program has been designed and accredited as OISE CPL’s Principal’s Qualification Program, which includes two distinct phases:
Phase One – Education Leaders: Building the Foundations of Leadership
(formerly Principal’s Qualification Program Part 1)
comprises three foundational courses, taken sequentially. Each course is 7-weeks, and fully online. During this phase you’ll articulate your leadership philosophy, learn methods for cultivating and maintaining meaningful relationships with community agents, and gather tools for leading and managing during various situations.
- Within this environment, you will engage with education professionals from around the world (including OCT educators), and gain insight from various education spaces and contexts to inform your own professional development and practice.
- Upon successful completion of Phase One – Education Leaders: Building the Foundations of Leadership 3-course program, you’ll receive an OISE CPL Certificate of Completion from the University of Toronto.
- OCT Certified Educators will also earn their Additional Qualification: Principal’s Qualification Program, Part 1 (which will be reflected within their OCT Certificate of Qualifications).
Phase Two – Education Leaders: Nurturing Sustainable Leadership
(formerly Principal’s Qualification Program Part 2)
is an OISE CPL Professional Learning Fellowship (PLF) – an advanced, self-guided study to work through your own applied inquiry with support from facilitators, resident experts, and peers. In this PLF, you’ll refine your professional inquiry, lead and facilitate seminar discussions, build your leadership action plan, and compile a personal leadership toolbox of resources and strategies you’ll be able to use throughout your career as an education leader.
- Within this environment, you will engage with both OCT Certified Educators and Education Professionals (Non-OCT), leading to insights into various education spaces and contexts from around the world, thus further informing your own professional development and practice.
- Upon completion of Phase Two – Nurturing Sustainable Leadership Professional Learning Fellowship, you’ll receive an OISE CPL Master Certificate of Completion from the University of Toronto
- OCT Certified Educators will also earn their Additional Qualification: Principal’s Qualification Program, Part 2 (which will be reflected within their OCT Certificate of Qualifications).
Please note: OCT Educators seeking their Principal’s Qualification in Ontario must complete both Phase One and Two. Education professionals who are not affiliated with the Ontario College of Teachers may choose to complete one or both phases depending on their needs. Advanced education leaders may opt only for the Phase Two Professional Learning Fellowship. The pre-requisites for each are listed on their individual course pages below.
What You'll Learn
The first three courses (Phase One / PQP1) are foundational, designed to develop your leadership philosophy as an education leader. The Nurturing Sustainable Leadership Professional Learning Fellowship (Phase Two / PQP2) is an advanced, self-guided study designed to support your work through a professional inquiry, leading to the development of an actionable plan for your workplace.
Upon successful completion of Phase One: Building the Foundations of Leadership, you will be able to:
- Define and implement your school leadership philosophy and leadership style in school settings.
- Communicate a shared vision and mission, including long- and short-term goals and performance expectations.
- Build productive relationships with students, families, staff, and the broader community.
- Leverage educational partners, resources, and staff in developing a collaborative, supportive, and safe school culture.
- Oversee the school mission, goals, and staff in relation to student learning and school improvement.
- Develop and support staff by facilitating professional growth, recognizing achievement and responding to their needs.
- Assess, evaluate, support, and improve instructional strategies and curriculum.
Upon successful completion of Phase Two: Nurturing Sustainable Leadership, you will be able to:
- Build a framework for your school leadership philosophy that directs, motivates, and manages people.
- Effectively track deliverables, timelines, and budgets to measure and report on accountability.
- Adopt a growth and innovation mindset that supports staff professional development, achievement, and capacity.
- Integrate social justice and anti-racism into all facets of school leadership and operations.
Can be completed in 12 - 24 months
Online Asynchronous with optional Synchronous sessions
Under 30 Learners
Phase 1: 7 wks / course = 21 weeks
Phase 2: 14 weeks
Phase 1: 42 hrs / course (125 hrs)
Phase 2: 125 hr program
Phase 1: $1098 per course = $3294
Phase 2: $3985
TOTAL = $7,279
All courses HST Exempt
Phase 1 (Take All 3)
Learn how to create meaningful relationships within your community that will help build effective, innovative learning environments that support student and staff success.
Explore the important role you’ll play in leading your school’s vision and mission, and its organization, operation and resource allocation.
Phase 2 - Professional Learning Fellowship (Take All 1)
The Nurturing Sustainable Leadership Professional Learning Fellowship provides a facilitated learning process aimed at seasoned school/education leaders who are interested in pursuing a self-designated project related to expanding and enhancing their skills as innovative, strategic, and effective school leaders within the K-16 space.